“Olaf” Sweet Crafty Toys

These are for my great grands – the ball for Jovi and the little bag for Tiny Tot.olaf-toys01

The pattern for the ball came from “Patchwork Puzzle Balls” by Jinny Beyer. With the template I fussy cut the characters and used French terry for the squares to add some texture for the little man.  This book is totally intriguing and I love doing these balls.

“Suzy’s Sack” is from a pattern by This and That Patterns.  Leia has always enjoyed purses so I’m confident she will like having this one too.  Instead if a “D” ring I added a ribbon loop.  She doesn’t need a metal ring since she isn’t carrying keys yet.  This was my first time with this pattern but I can say the instructions were good.

These will be added to their Christmas gifts when we send a box out to them.


One Block to go

Here are three more blocks for the Craftsy BOM project I’m doing this year.


This one was paper pieced. I rather like my fabric choices.  This is the second time I visited the style of paper piecing.  I was part of a group (45 quilters) who exchanged sets of squares from which we had to design and produce a quilt using at least bits from nearly DancingSkirts-1all the squares.  I designed a spiraling pattern with the help of a Jinny Beyer’s bookDesigning Tessellations: The Secrets of Interlocking Patterns.  I even won 2nd place for Viewer’s Choice out of the 45 quilts.  My last block for Craftsy – October’s second BOM – is another paper pieced block.  I have the papers printed, it’s just a matter of sitting down at the machine and doing it now.


These two were very time consuming. There are 32 pieces to cut per block, 16 curved lines to sew before the rows can be sewn together.  When I cut the pieces exactly to the template given I was too small for the block. Each of the 16 blocks needed to be 3.5 inches.  So, I started cutting the pieces a tad larger.

The effect of these blocks is pretty.  I actually made a wall quilt using this curved block several years ago for a boss named Paul back in Virginia.  Then I used Asian fabrics for the inside piece and batiks for the outside.  That was a pattern I took from a book.  I don’t have a photo of that quilt, wish I did.

I look forward to these last two months with Craftsy.com as we pick up on ideas for the sashing, borders,and binding I’m guessing.  I plan to pay to have this huge quilt quilted on someone’s longarm – it’s worth the money.