When a customer bought some of this pink print a few weeks back, I thought it would make a cute dress for Leia. But, I always think that about a piece of fabric and I have so much stash already, so I put it on the “go back” rack behind the counter. Doing that caused me to spot the green gingham fabric. Low and behold, the two would be perfect together. I couldn’t help myself now, I was hooked on the combo – after all it was such a bargain. I studied the two and decided I needed a brown to accent the dress so went on a search for a matching brown and found the perfect geometric in the right shade of green and brown. I bought some, not knowing what pattern I’d use, and I’m happy to say it worked out in the end. I didn’t have enough of the elephant print to make the panties but stretched the gingham to work.
Making an outfit this small is like building a card. I decide on the layout and gather the supplies since I already had the patterns picked out. I ended up making just a solid strip of the brown print instead of a ruffle because it seemed too busy to do otherwise. There is a green satin ribbon sewn over the brown fabric with embroidery thread. The color is lined with the brown. It needed a bit of embellishment. A yo-yo flower would be just the thing. That bow of the green ribbon is very securely sewn in there – I wouldn’t want baby girl pulling it off.
Mommy and baby are moving this weekend, so this won’t go in the mail just yet. Hopefully she will enjoy wearing this summery dress.