I couldn’t find the right lime, turquoise or brown so decided to make my own trim for this dress for Leia. I went with the same lime sateen fabric and made a leaf pattern with Sulky embroidery thread. First I cut a strip of fabric, and then a strip of interfacing.
You can clip these threads after a few stitches to keep them from becoming entangled. The leaf pattern I used is one on my regular sewing machine, not the embroidery attachment, and no extra procedure is necessary. But do select the start of the pattern before you begin of course.
My ruffles are done using my ruffler foot with a six inch strip of turquoise fabric – in a jiffy, too. Once the turquoise ruffle was sewn down I added the brown shinny tulle. And then the personally made trim was added. I sewed both sides down with lime thread. Not shown are the plain, basic panties in the lime sateen fabric.
One might think that during all the years I have been sewing garments and using patterns I would have made all the obvious mistakes. Today I sewed the front and back pieces of fabric together as usual with the tissue still pinned between! See in the center of the photo how I have the shoulder seam but sticking out to the left is the tissue. Strange. Solved with a bit of unsewing to set it straight.